Wednesday, June 28, 2023

LIVIN' OUT LOUD with RICH and GEORGE FAVAZZA of MERCY RULE

 


In 1989, a group of four Detroit area boys known as Mercy Rule released their first...and only...album, Overruled.  Thirty-four years later, our friends at Roxx Records gave long-time fans, and newcomers to the band, a chance to own a long out-of-print and VERY hard to find CD.  I took this chance to catch up with two of the members of the band, brothers George and Rich Favazza, who respectively played guitar and drums for the band, to find out a bit about the band's history, their experiences as Mercy Rule, and what they are up to today.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRR:  Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to talk to me.  First, congrats are in order following the reissue of Overruled.  As someone who bought the album when it first came out, this has been a long time coming!

George:  Thanks, Arttie.  Yes, it has been a while, for sure.

PRR:  Were you at all surprised by the response to the new package, which has been largely very positive from what I've seen and heard?

George:  Yeah, I was a little surprised by the response because the album wasn't remixed, it was just remastered.  But, I will say the clarity is 100% better.

PRR:  I agree; the sound is much improved.  So, let's talk a bit about Mercy Rule's origins and how we got to the point of this reissue.  Where were you guys located or based out of?

George:  We all grew up in Wayne, a suburb of Detroit, with the exception of Bruce (bass player and keyboardist), who grew up in Canton, which is a nearby city and also a suburb of Detroit.  Our Dad was a musician who played mostly in wedding bands.  He played saxophone and clarinet, and he had a great singing voice.  So, all of us kids were all musical.  We started a band with some neighborhood friends back when I was in middle school and my brothers were in high school.  We met Aaron (lead vocalist and guitar player), who was in another band, and eventually we all just joined up into a single band.  Through a series of member changes, we finally became Black Ace (laughter).  We eventually met Bruce, who was dating my sister at the time, and it was actually Bruce who introduced us to Christianity.  To make a long story short, we all eventually became Christians and decided to make a Christian band.  Originally, we were just a typical Christian rock band, calling ourselves Aziz, but eventually we became a metal band.  Our brother, John, who played bass and wrote a lot of the lyrics, quit the band and we threw Bruce, who had been playing exclusively keyboards, on bass, and that's really when we became Mercy Rule.

Rich:  Our band really formed in 1982 when I was 17...

George:  Yeah, and I would have been 16...

PRR:  Did you consider yourselves to be a Christian band, or a band with Christians in it?  Was evangelism your first mission as a band?

George:  We were definitely a Christian band, and yes, evangelism was our mission.

PRR:  Had you been exposed to the idea of Christian hard rock or metal previously, or were you kind of finding your own way?

George:  Well, we always had hard rock influences and really liked Rez band a lot.  Aaron started going more in that direction with his writing as new bands came about, such as Daniel Band and Stryper.  Stryper really paved the way for us.

PRR:  Was there any kind of Christian "scene" in the Detroit area?

George:  There were a lot of Christian coffee houses and stuff that we could play.  Those shows weren't greatly attended 'til we started making our mark a bit.

PRR:  Did you play much in churches and youth groups, or did you mostly try to play in the general music scene?

George:  We started mostly in churches, but as the band got more evangelical, we played a lot of bars and all ages shows.

PRR:  How was your message received?  Did you receive much in the way of pushback from the management of the bars and clubs, telling you to tone your message down, or anything?  Anything negative from the patrons of the clubs?

George:  I feel it was received well at most places.  I never really remember any management telling us to tone it down, but we also never really shoved the Gospel down their throats.  We always gave more of how God changed our lives and how He could do the same for them.  And we always gave an invitation to talk to the band after our show if they wanted to ask questions about our faith or how to ask Jesus into their hearts.  I always felt we were well received.

PRR:  Did you ever get to open for any big names?  How did they treat you?

George:  We opened for Bloodgood, Barren Cross, Sacred Warrior, Rez Band, Vengeance Rising, Guardian, Xalt...and believe it or not, the Imperials. (Laughter). Every band we worked with was supportive.  It was really an awesome time.

PRR:  Did you ever consider taking the band out to LA to try to make a go of the metal scene that was blowing up so big at the time?  Or maybe the smaller, but still active New York/New Jersey scene?

George:  No, we really didn't think about that.  We were happy with the music scene here in Detroit.  We did do a few very small tours, though...one to Minnesota, and one to Nashville.

PRR:  You did manage to get your song "Cities Are Burning" on the Underground Metal compilation in, I believe it was, 1988.  How did that come about?  Was it an open call for band
submissions, were you "scouted"...how did that come about?

George:  You know, I have been asked this question many times, and I honestly can't remember. (Laughter). I think we were sending our demo to various record companies and it came from that somehow.  Rich?

Rich:  (Laughter). If I had anything I'd throw it in!  As of now, you're doing a great job, George.

PRR:  Did that Underground Metal compilation open some doors for you?  Is that what got R.E.X.'s attention, or had you sent them your demo, also?

George:  Yep, I believe that is what got Doug Mann's attention.  He wanted to make us the next Rage Of Angels. (Laughter). You see how that worked out! (Laughter). We were also working on putting the album out ourselves when R.E.X. contacted us and we went with them.  In the end, all they did was come up with the artwork and press the album. We did all the rest.  Unfortunately, we also had to turn down the New Band stage at the Cornerstone Festival that year because we got signed.

PRR:  That had to be a blow!  Cornerstone was the pinnacle back in the day!

George:  Oh yeah.  To be honest, now I wish that we would have declined the R.E.X. offer and played Cornerstone! (Laughter)

Rich:  I agree!  (Laughter). Honestly, though, I never knew about that, George.  Or maybe I did.  My memory is not what it used to be! (Laughter)

George:  Yeah, I remember how bummed I was that we couldn't play the stage because we got signed.  We always went to Cornerstone back then and it was a big deal.

PRR:  What was your relationship with R.E.X. like for the band?  Were they a help or more of a hinderance?

George:  Hinderance all the way, definitely.  We were very naive back then.  We thought they would put a great deal of money behind the album, promote it, you know.  But that didn't happen.  For example, we were never happy with the mix of the album, which wasn't necessarily R.E.X.'s fault, but they released it anyway.  What we should have done was go to a top notch studio with a good producer.  Honestly, the songs were really well put together and had great potential, we just needed a little more push.  On top of that, I think we saw one royalty statement ever.

PRR: Rich, thoughts?

Rich:  I'm sorry...I've got nothing.

George:  Rich is a man of some words, but he expresses it all on the drum kit!  (Laughter)

Rich:  It's all a blur, but it was an awesome time in life.  I was 23 when we signed to R.E.X.

George:  I was 22.

PRR:  You say you were naive.  Did you have any expectations of what the label would do for you?  Were promises made and not kept?

George:  We did have expectations, yes.  Mostly that they (R.E.X.) would stand behind us and promote us and the album.  I don't know what we expected that would look like.  There honestly wasn't a lot of communication.

PRR:  Did you have any interactions with any other bands on the label?


George:  No, not at all.  None.  There was talk of us doing something with Believer, but nothing ever came of it.


PRR:  Believer had really strong support and respect in the secular market, as well as in the Christian market.  That could have been huge for Mercy Rule...

George:  Yep, no doubt.

PRR:  Wow.  So...the album comes out in 1989, correct?  What was some of the initial reaction from fans that you can recall?

George:  Yeah, 1989.  I mean, our die hard fans liked it!  (Laughter). We got a lot of fan mail from around the world, that was super cool, but I think we were pretty disappointed because it didn't sell very well.  R.E.X. had an option for a second album and decided against it, ultimately breaking up the band.

Rich:  Yeah.  We were all married and started having kids at that point, and we weren't making any money to support ourselves...but we were putting in plenty of time!

PRR:  Did R.E.X. provide any production support or anything?  Or was the album pretty much your baby?  I ask because I have heard throughout the years that it was basically your demo with some new songs that R.E.X. just slapped their logo on and sold.

Rich:  You got that right...no support.

George:  Yep.  That's exactly it.  We did all the recording and had it produced by the guy who owned the studio.  And we paid for it all out of our own pockets.  All they did was the artwork and the pressing, like I mentioned.  That was it.

PRR:  Was there every any talk of a video or anything to help jump start things?

George:  Nope, not at all.  We did do a video of "Cities Are Burning" and "Cecilia", but those were us doing them.  In fact, "Cities..." was done before we were even on R.E.X.  

PRR:  I don't think I have ever seen those...

George:  Roxx just released them a couple of weeks ago.

(Editor's note:  You can find both videos at the bottom of this page.)

PRR:  I know you mentioned only getting to see the one royalty check previously; do you have any idea how many copies of Overruled were sold initially?

George:  Nope.  No idea.

PRR:  No idea?  That has to be...frustrating.  Is that a strong enough word? (Laughing)

George:  Irritating!  (Laughter)

Rich:  We maybe sold five grand...five thousand copies.  I don't know though.

George:  Seriously, we have no idea, whatsoever.  It was on vinyl, CD, and cassette...

PRR:  Well, I had the CD and cassette, so there's two!  And I have the reissue!

George:  I still have a couple of cassettes still in the shrink wrap.  And of course the new vinyl and CD...

Rich:  No matter, I always felt we were loved by our fans...

George:  Yes, I agree, Rich.  Oh, Aaron put us on Spotify and Apple Music, too, so there's that...

PRR:  Did you get some hometown love from radio?  Did you ever have your, "Hey!  That's us!" moment?

George:  I think it got played once or twice on Christian radio.  (Laughs). Never had the "that's us" moment, though.. (Laughter)

PRR:  Did you have the opportunity to get out and play in support of the album at all?

George:  Some, but not a lot.  We were really on our own. (Laughter)

PRR:  When you did play out, what kind of crowds were you drawing in the Detroit area?  Were you pretty well known?

George:  We had a lot of momentum going the last couple of years we were together. We started attracting pretty decent crowds and were getting some traction.  I would say we'd draw 100-200 people in small venues...and that was actually before R.E.X.

PRR:  How ironic that getting signed actually slammed the brakes on the band...

George:  Yeah...sad...

PRR:  So was there any preparation being made for a second album, either before or after R.E.X. decided not to pick up the second album option?

George:  Well, we were starting to write new material.  One called "Back To The Bone," which was a very cool song.  But, yeah, it ended pretty quick after they said they weren't interested in doing a second one.

PRR:  Shifting gears a bit, can you tell me a little bit about what it was like being siblings in a band?  I've read Lzzy Hale and her brother, Arejay, have grown closer, while the Gallagher brothers of Oasis no longer even speak...

George:  Me and Rich have always been close.  Nothing has changed there.  We still play together often at church, and our family loves getting together and playing music.  He's my favorite drummer, always...

Rich:  Always?  Shucks. (Laughs). Me and George have always gotten along good and can always read each other musically.

PRR:  And who's older, again?

George:  Rich! (Laughs). I'm the baby...

Rich:  Year and a half difference...

PRR:  Have you maintained contact with the other guys in Mercy Rule at all?

George:  Somewhat. (Laughs). More so since this remaster came out.  I've seen Bruce two times in the last month, and I text back and forth with Aaron lately.

Rich:  Yeah, I go 4-wheeling in the Spring every year with Aaron.  Sometimes he will come five hours one way to hang out with us.  I see Bruce here and there, too.  He came to my Guitar Center drum-off a couple of times...

PRR:  Speaking of the remaster project, how did the Roxx package come together?  Was it kind of out of the blue?

George:  Yeah, I believe someone messaged me, and then I directed them to Aaron because he did a lot of the writing and singing.  I did mostly backing vocals, although I did sing a few songs.

Rich:  It was definitely out of the blue for me...

PRR:   While the circumstances are different, how has it been working with Bill at Roxx?

Rich:  Bill has been very kind and supportive.

George:  Honestly, those guys have been great!  Very helpful and supportive.  It's been a very good experience.  They're a great company.  I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

PRR:  Have the creative juices started flowing again at all?  Ever think of "getting the band back togethe," maybe for something like Immortal Fest or something?

Rich:  I would love to do a reunion show!  I know George and Bruce would, too, but trying to get Aaron is kind of tough, as he lives five hours away.

George:  The thought has definitely crossed my mind, and I am going to start writing some material.  Aaron has his own thing going with recording projects, so he really didn't seem to have much interest, but you never know.  I'm gonna persuade him!

Rich:  And, he's busy with business...

George:  But Rich, Bruce, and I definitely want to do something.

PRR:  With the internet and technology the way it is, putting together an album is probably a lot easier than ever, I would imagine.

George:  Yea, and Aaron is super good at recording and mastering.

Rich:  He remixed "You Lied To Me", and it sounded awesome!

George:  This is another band he was in, and he did all the recording and mixing...


PRR:  After getting to hear the new package with the demo tracks on it, I have to ask, is your entire demo on this collection, and was Overruled basically just the demo with a few new tracks added, and viola?

George:  Well, "Cities Are Burning" wasn't on the R.E.X. album, just on the compilation album...

PRR:  That's my bad.  I meant the other three songs.  I'm a big demo collector, and but I have never come across yours before, so I wasn't sure if this was the entire demo or not, and how much was re-recorded for the Overruled release.

George:  Yes, it is the entire demo on the Roxx package, plus two different versions of "Cities Are Burning" with slightly different mixes.  I personally like the demo version of the song, not the version on Underground Metal.  The intro with the drums has a bit more reverb on the beginning full and that's what I like about it.

PRR:  I don't know why this just hit me, but since it's in both demo form and the album version, I'll just ask:  was there an actual Cecilia? (Laughs)

George:  No, just a made up character, basically.

PRR:  I always get in trouble with people for not asking, what gear you guys used to record the album.  People always seem interested in that stuff, even though it means nothing to me! (Laughs)

George:  You mean like guitars and amps?

Rich:  I played a Pearl World Series kit.  1987 kit with POWER TOMS! (Laughs)

George:  Mine was a Gibson Explorer with EMG 81s and Ampeg amps.  Also played through Peavey VTM 120 head and Sonic cabs...basically a Celestion Greenback.

Aaron played a Hamer guitar...not sure of the model, but it was pointy!  (Laughter). He still has it, by the way.

PRR:  Do you guys have any regrets looking back?  

George:  Just wish we could have done a second album.

Rich:  It was a hard break up.  Heck, it's what we wanted to do!  The Lord provided a different path for us, though.  I look at it like we have the best of both worlds.  We still play at church and different things.  We got to spend time with our families, too.

George:  True, Richie.  I love, love, love playing at church.

Rich:  Heck, with church, we have a show every week!  (Laughs). Plus, we're grandpas now!

George:  Yep!

PRR:  How about high points looking back?  Maybe a favorite show or a favorite venue?


George:  Oh, favorite venue was Free Spirits!  My favorite show was the Rez show.  Glenn (Kaiser) was so good to us, and so encouraging.  I also have a lot of memories playing with Barren Cross.

Rich:  Free Spirits Bar was really cool.  Good sound system, and we played with a lot of top metal bands there.  The Rez show was definitely cool.  Some of the pictures on the album are from the Rez show.

PRR:  Do you still hear from fans occasionally?  Especially now that many older bands are getting repackaging and reissuing deals?

George:  I do, yes.  Pretty cool to hear from them.

PRR:  Is there a Mercy Rule page somewhere that fans can keep in touch with you?

Mercy Rule fan art
Rich:  George, you got that page yet?  (Laughs)

George:  (Laughs). No,,,I keep saying I'm gonna make a Facebook page.  I just haven't gotten to it yet.  I
want to order some shirts and sell them on our page.  We have hundreds of pictures to put on there, and maybe some videos we could put up.  Definitely some cool facts and tidbits. (Laughs)

PRR:  Well, you guys were definitely a part of my teen years.  I went through a 2-3 year stretch where I listened to exclusively Christian music...and I still listen to probably 75% Christian hard rock and metal today...but Overruled was played a lot by me.  So this has been cool and fun for me!

Rich:  Thank you, Arttie!

George:  That's pretty darn cool.  Thanks for taking the time to talk with us!  We appreciate you!

-------------------------------------------------
So, there you have it, readers!  Thanks to George and Rich for taking the time to talk with me!  If you haven't had the chance to check out the remastered and repackaged Overruled yet, I encourage you to snag on from Roxx Records before they are gone!  And, as promised earlier, here are the two new Mercy Rule videos, released by Roxx Productions just for this special package!

"Cities Are Burning"


"Cecilia"

No comments:

Post a Comment

KEVIN PIKE "Heavenly Realms"

  (c) 2023 Roxx Records Atomic Dragon Heavenly Realms The Landing Future World Beyond The Valley Ode To The King G.P.S. Orion The Journey Ho...